Thursday, June 30, 2016

First Days

Hi Family and Friends!

We're just coming to the end of our second day in the field.  On Monday we flew out of SLC.  On Tuesday we arrived in Sao Paulo, minus two bags, and spent the afternoon with the area presidency and the medical personnel for Brazil.  After flying all night I don't think I paid as much attention as I should have.  Just today I've received calls from a sister with dengue, an elder with a broken tooth, a sister with a rash, and three or four others.  So far I'm sending everyone to the doctor.  I'm sure that's not the best solution, but President Canuto said that if they're too sick to work they should go to the doctor.

Yesterday morning we were driven to Piracicaba and were warmly greeted by President and Sister Canuto.  We were shown around what will be our home for the next three years.  It will be great and we have extra beds and couches for lots of company.  After lunch with them we met the office elders.  They had made a big welcome sign for us and were all adorable.  After a little time there, we said good-bye to the Canutos (all too soon) and went back to the apartment to move in.  We spent the evening with the assistants getting a little more oriented and then home to finish unpacking.

This morning I found a park about a half a mile from the house that has a 1.25 mile trail around it.  I'm not super fond of running in circles but it seems safe with lots of walkers and runners and it had a bathroom so I guess I'm set.  It's really pretty, with a pond in the middle with swan boats, and these trees that look like Dr. Suess trees.  They have no leaves but these big white puffy "flowers" that look like dandylions.

This afternoon I got to go work with the sisters and Dad went out with the elders.  We tried to find many referrals but nothing panned out so we started "knocking" doors.  The second door we clapped at we ended up going in and teaching a lesson on the restoration.  The family had recently moved and the mother had been praying to find a church.  They marked another appointment for Saturday.  They seem prepared.  It was an awesome afternoon.

Tonight Dad is preparing for our Meet the President meetings tomorrow and Saturday.  After the meetings Dad and I will go out and work with missionaries again.  I won't have time to run tomorrow or Saturday because of these meetings and of course I won't run on Sunday.  I hope the Lord recognizes my sacrifice and I don't gain too much weight! :-)

That's all for now.  I figure I'd better write while I can and before I get too buried.

Love you all!!

The view from our bedroom

No comments:

Post a Comment